It's getting closer

Saranlhess

Good morning everyone

I just got cleared from my dietician, I just need clearance from the Bariatrician, the Surgeon, and Physc. I'm in month 6 of 6 per my insurance requirements.

I just need a few more tests and those will be done in the next couple of weeks.

I have an appointment next Wednesday with the Bariatrician and he wants me to make a list of questions. Well my anxiety kicked in and I'm completely blank.

I'm having DS (the Dr said he might do a bypass and then later a revision to a DS due to my size) I understand about fluids, protein, and the eating stages. I'm going to be on 4 weeks pre op liquid diet of 5 protein shakes a day.

Other than that, my mind can't think of anything. Would y'all mind offering some suggestions? I would be grateful 😊

Don’t let him do the bypass at all. Refuse it in your paperwork. If he can make a damned pouch, he can make a sleeve. And a revision from a bypass to a sleeve is much more complicated than a DS. Only a handful of surgeons are qualified to handle that surgery.

Who’s the surgeon?

the Dr said he might do a bypass and then later a revision to a DS due to my size
Well my anxiety kicked in and I'm completely blank
normal! this will all happen faster than you'd think

:5grouphug:

I hope the "might do a bypass" bit is a mistake? because you do not want a bypass, you want a sleeve which is the first part of the DS.

the bypass makes a pouch and you do not want this.

Don’t let him do the bypass at all. Refuse it in your paperwork. If he can make a damned pouch, he can make a sleeve. And a revision from a bypass to a sleeve is much more complicated than a DS. Only a handful of surgeons are qualified to handle that surgery.

Who’s the surgeon?
James Lau currently in IL. I've looked Him up and apparently he's been in a few states. He's at Loyola now.

I'll refuse it in the paperwork. Where exactly would I write it? Thank you so much.

normal! this will all happen faster than you'd think

:5grouphug:

I hope the "might do a bypass" bit is a mistake? because you do not want a bypass, you want a sleeve which is the first part of the DS.

the bypass makes a pouch and you do not want this.
Thank you so much. I heard bypass, but I do have another appointment with him to get signed off and approved by him, I can clarify with him then in case I'm making a mistake. I sure hope I am. Otherwise I'm going to refuse it in the paperwork. Honestly I don't want 2 surgeries, but I'm desperate to lose weight because it's taken such a severe toll on my health.

Hopefully what he said (or meant) was that he might only do a sleeve gastrectomy, with a plan to add the "switch" portion of the DS at a later date, after you have lost some weight. That wouldn't be ideal as it means two surgeries, but if it's a safety issue, he may have the last say on that. OTOH, if he really said and meant bypass, that would mean either you would be stuck with a bypass forever, or you would have to undergo a far, far more complex second surgery to take apart the bypass, restore the original anatomy, and then do a DS. Very few bariatric surgeons even do this type of revision. Be absolutely certain to have this clarified, and refuse, verbally and in writing, anything that is not acceptable to YOU.

James Lau currently in IL. I've looked Him up and apparently he's been in a few states. He's at Loyola now.

I'll refuse it in the paperwork. Where exactly would I write it? Thank you so much.
You will have to sign a consent form for surgery. Best to take someone with you to act as witness. If it actually says RNY or gastric bypass or bypass, scratch thru ONE time, initial and state, vertical sleeve or Duodenal switch two anastomoses ONLY. Then sign. And have your witness sign and initial as well.

That way he knows YOUR wishes should he not be able to actually complete the full DS.

Hopefully what he said (or meant) was that he might only do a sleeve gastrectomy, with a plan to add the "switch" portion of the DS at a later date, after you have lost some weight. That wouldn't be ideal as it means two surgeries, but if it's a safety issue, he may have the last say on that. OTOH, if he really said and meant bypass, that would mean either you would be stuck with a bypass forever, or you would have to undergo a far, far more complex second surgery to take apart the bypass, restore the original anatomy, and then do a DS. Very few bariatric surgeons even do this type of revision. Be absolutely certain to have this clarified, and refuse, verbally and in writing, anything that is not acceptable to YOU.
Thank you, I hope I am mistaken. There has been so much going on the past few months. I sincerely hope I'm mistaken. I'll find out at the end of the month. I'll make sure to refuse in writing. Where would I write this at?

Thank you, I hope I am mistaken. There has been so much going on the past few months. I sincerely hope I'm mistaken. I'll find out at the end of the month. I'll make sure to refuse in writing. Where would I write this at?
There should be empty space on the paper. Make sure it’s as close to your acceptance signature as possible.

Honestly I don't want 2 surgeries, but I'm desperate to lose weight because it's taken such a severe toll on my health.

Thank you, I hope I am mistaken. There has been so much going on the past few months. I sincerely hope I'm mistaken. I'll find out at the end of the month.

Is there a way to ask for clarification before the end of the month? call his nurse, send a message in "my chart" - something? this is a big deal and I think it would help your stress level to get it clarified sooner if possible. because which actual surgery you wake up with is a big deal!

Is there a way to ask for clarification before the end of the month? call his nurse, send a message in "my chart" - something? this is a big deal and I think it would help your stress level to get it clarified sooner if possible. because which actual surgery you wake up with is a big deal!
Yes, I have an appointment with the Bariatrician (his nurse) on the 16th and I'm trying to come up with a list of questions to ask. This will absolutely be one of them now. I'm so nervous that I can't think of any other questions at the moment.

Yes, I have an appointment with the Bariatrician (his nurse) on the 16th and I'm trying to come up with a list of questions to ask. This will absolutely be one of them now. I'm so nervous that I can't think of any other questions at the moment.
I think if you just skim the threads here you'll spark some ideas and it's really good to write them down.

I'd ask: Will your surgeon remove your gallbladder during the surgery? Will the initial plan be for a laparoscopic approach with open surgery as backup, or is the plan for open at the start? How long will you be staying in the hospital? How many duodenal switch procedures has your surgeon conducted? Is it full traditional 2 anastomoses duodenal switch or a modified form?

Latest posts

Back